I thought that by listing some of my favorite things I would be able to share more about myself in a positive and fun way!
- Painting my nails perfectly with a color that I love: I don’t know exactly what it is about a fresh coat of nail polish and vibrant color but it truly inspires me. Glancing down at my perfectly painted nails, knowing that I adorned them so brilliantly and clearly, gives me confidence and a certain sense of satisfaction that just brightens my day.
- Taking Naps: Napping is something I love and hate at the same time. I love my naps, I sometimes schedule my entire day around them and truly look forward to taking them. But man oh man, do they cut down on my productivity levels. But that feeling of drifting off into blissful sleep is just so satisfying I can’t seem to give it up.
- Watching TV or Movies or Reading: Again, not very productive activities but this post isn’t about advice on how to be more productive. I love when a book can make me feel some serious emotions, when a movie can move me to tears, or when a TV show can make me feel like I want to be a better person. The fact that these fictional things can excite, sadden, and move me in profound ways has always inspired me.
- Looking at Art: After taking an art class in college, my boyfriend and I have spent a decent amount of time in art museums and I am so glad that we can experience artwork together. Again, art is able to move me emotionally and I love having something inspiring to look at whether it’s an original Monet at the Boston Art Museum or the poster of Van Gogh’s Starry Night Over the Rhone, art is one of my favorite things.
- Saving Money: I have always been careful with my money. I love to put my money away and watch my savings grow. This clashes very harshly with one of my other favorite activities of going out to eat but I try to balance things out to the best of my abilities.
- Going out to Eat: Oh boy, do I love going out to dinner, lunch, breakfast, fro-yo, you name it! I thank the stars that my boyfriend deters me from going out to eat and often convinces me to save my money. Thank you Ricky, I would have no money without you by my side.
- Spending time with my Parents: I feel as if I truly didn’t appreciate my parents until about two years ago. Without their love, support, and guidance I would not be the person I am today. I am moving away to college in a few months and each moment I share with them I cherish.
- Animals: What have we done to deserve animals? With their sweet faces and willingness to love and be loved in return. They are truly amazing.
- Doing Laundry: I hope Ricky never reads this one. It’s very satisfying to me to see my laundry hamper be empty and have all of my clothes in their proper place. The actual process of “doing laundry” I guess is less fun, but without struggle there is no strength.
- Getting Ready for the Day: Take a shower, dry your hair, do your makeup, and be prepared to seize the day. That’s what I tell myself every morning when I don’t want to crawls away from my cozy bed. After the long process of preparing for the day is over I know that I am ready to take on the world, even if I slide back into my bed for a little nap afterwards.
- Cooking and Baking: I am still getting a handle on the cooking thing but the baking thing I have down. It’s Christmas time and you need me to bring a dessert? I am on it and I will own it.
- Goofing around with Ricky: Ricky, who is my boyfriend if that has not been established earlier, is a very silly man. He loves to annoy, tickle, torture, and make me laugh. He has taught me to lighten up and have fun while fun can be had and I will always be grateful for that.
- Organizing and Planning: I don’t always accomplish the tasks that I write down. But by organizing them in a planner or calendar I feel a sort of relief that I have mapped out the tasks and will eventually tackle them in due time.
- Alone time: I think that one of the greatest things about my relationship with Ricky is that we are not afraid to tell each other that we need some space. We have taken classes together in college, worked at the same place, and workout together. Sometimes we just need a break from each other. Sometimes I just need a break from everybody. There is nothing wrong with craving time for yourself and wanting a minute to breath.
- Learning new words: Ricky uses me as his personal thesaurus on occasion. If there is a new word, I hear or see I will google it and I will memorize it. For instance, while selecting a new flavor of Ben and Jerry’s the other night I chose the flavor titles “Truffle Kerfuffle.” Wondering whether or not Kerfuffle was a word or not I googled it and found that indeed Kerfuffle is a brilliant word meaning “a commotion or fuss.” A perfect way to describe my vanilla ice cream teaming with pecans, fudge chunks, and chocolate salted ganache.
“Take time to do what makes your soul happy”